Country Roads of Portugal (Summer 2018)
Brochure Type: Europe 2018
Portugal's great New World discoveries brought the country trade and wealth, and left their mark throughout the Kingdom. Witness this legacy, from the sunny beaches of the Algarve to the vineyards of the Douro Valley.
Additional Included Highlights
- Lagos: Explore this coastal town nestled on Meia Praia. Monsaraz: Surrounded by cork oaks and vineyards, wander through the castle ruins to admire the incredible view over the Spanish plains that contrast with the blue of one of Europe's largest artificial lakes. Obidos: Walk through the picturesque narrow streets up to the main square of this ancient walled town
- Guimaraes: Enjoy views from the ruined castle and explore the maze of streets in the historic Old Quarter
- Porto: See the bridges and buildings decorated in tiles. Scenic Drives: Alentejo, River Tagus, Agarve, Douro River.
- Lisbon: Delight in a taste of the famous Portuguese delicacy, Pasteis de Belem, made to the same secret recipe for over 200 years.
- Monsaraz: Meet a local boat captain and join him for a leisurely cruise, followed by a delicious Alentejo Highlight Lunch in a local restaurant that was once an olive oil mill.
- Douro River: Meet the Sequeira family who have been living on the left bank of the Douro for four generations. Join them for a freshly-prepared Farm-to-Table Dinner, hear about their passion for wine making and sample their wines.
- Porto: An informative tour of a famous cellar at Vila Nova de Gaia shows you the views and gives you an opportunity to taste the Port.
- Porto: Shared experiences and memories are often the foundation for special bonds and friendships. Toast your travels with wine and good cheer during your Celebration Dinner at a restaurant in Porto, devoted to the enjoyment of regional cooking.
- Dining Summary: 10 Buffet Breakfasts (BB), 1 Lunch with Wine (LW) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Evora: Explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site with your Local Expert. See the famous Roman Temple, and visit the fascinating cathedral, with its mix of Romanesque and Gothic architecture, as well as Capela dos Ossos, the Chapel of Bones.
- Tomar: Dominating the town is the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Templar Castle and the Convent of Christ. During your visit with a Local Expert, see the Manueline Window and follow the story of the mysterious Knights Templar.
- Tomar: Guided by your Local Expert, visit the Synagogue of Tomar, one of the best preserved medieval synagogues in Portugal.
- Coimbra: With a Local Expert, visit the University and witness the triumphal arches, painted ceilings, golden flourishes and walls of ancient tomes.
- Evora: Among the white-washed houses of Evora, next to the Roman aqueduct, your 5-star M'Ar de Ar Aqueduto hotel blends part of an old monastery with modern design.
- Douro Valley: The Vintage House Hotel enjoys an idyllic and tranquil riverside location at Pinhao in the authentic heart of the Douro Valley.
- Lisbon: There is no better way to explore a city, than with your Local Expert. Wander from the Lower Town, beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco. In the Belem Quarter see the Monument to the Discoveries and the ancient Belem Tower.
- Lisbon: Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Jeronimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture, reflecting Portugal's trade over the centuries.
- Lagos: Explore this coastal town nestled on Meia Praia, with your Travel Director.
- Monsaraz: Surrounded by cork oaks and vineyards, wander through the castle ruins to admire the incredible view over the Spanish plains that contrast with the blue of one of Europe's largest artificial lakes.
- Fatima: Join the faithful at one of the world's holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of the Apparitions or see the basilica.
- Obidos: Lead by your Travel Director, walk through the picturesque narrow streets up to the main square of this ancient walled town.
- Guimaraes: Enjoy views from the ruined castle and explore the maze of streets in the historic Old Quarter.
- Porto: See the iconic bridges and buildings decorated in tiles.
- Scenic Drives: Relax and enjoy the view as you travel through the Alentejo region and along the Tagus and Douro rivers.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call 440-834-1386 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13866951
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2018
- 12 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (Please ask about our great deals).|
|Day 2||Lisbon||Welcome to Lisbon.: On arrival at Lisbon International Airport, there are complimentary transfers to your hotel at 09:30, 12:30 and 15:30. Settle in and relax before joining your Travel Director at 18:00 for a Welcome Dinner at a local restaurant. Enjoy the the opportunity to mingle with your fellow travellers during a pleasant evening of good food and wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
Altis Grand Hotel (Superior Rooms), Lisbon.
|Day 3||Lisbon||Lisbon and the Age of the Great Discoveries.: Your guided sightseeing with a Local Expert takes you along the spacious avenues of the Lower Town and across the tree-shaded squares. Pass beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco, the finest square in the city, named after the palace that was destroyed in the terrible earthquake of 1755, along with much of the rest of the city. Visit the Belem Quarter from where sailing ships once set forth to discover unknown lands. Enjoy a taste of Pasteis de Belem from the patisserie that has been using the same, secret recipe for almost 200 years. See the modern Monument to the Discoveries and the more ancient Belem Tower, erected to protect Jeronimos Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage Site which you visit. With free time in the afternoon, perhaps take the funicular railway up into the steep alleyways of the old town or explore the terraces of the Alfama district? (Buffet Breakfast)|
Altis Grand Hotel (Superior Rooms), Lisbon.
|Day 4||Algarve||The Algarve.: Cross the River Tagus and head for the sun-drenched southern coast to reach Lagos, a fishing port nestled on the bay of Meia Praia. After free time to explore, continue to your resort hotel set within a magnificent 360-acre estate. Simplicity is in the soul of Algarve cuisine, along with seafood so fresh it still tastes of the sea. The small coastal towns and fishing ports house a rich variety of restaurants and your Travel Director knows the best! Why not join an Optional Experience to experience the natural beauty of the region, with a boat cruise and visit to one of the nearby coastal towns? (Buffet Breakfast)|
Ria Park Hotel & Spa, Almancil, Algarve.
|Day 5||Evora||Everlasting Evora.: Journey to the medieval walled city of Evora where cathedrals, churches, aqueducts and ancient castle walls all serve to create the feeling that this beautiful city is a living, breathing museum to Portugal's rich past. Join your Local Expert to explore the highlights of this UNESCO World Heritage Site. See the Roman Temple and visit the Capela dos Ossos, an extraordinary 17th century chapel comprising the skulls and bones of 5,000 bodies. Visit the cathedral with its attractive mix of Romanesque and Gothic architecture. With the afternoon at leisure, perhaps hire a bicycle or take a stroll through Evora's unique historical centre and follow the aqueduct inside the city walls? (Buffet Breakfast)|
M'Ar De Ar Aqueduto, Evora.
|Day 6||Evora||Monsaraz and Evora.: Travel to the striking white village of Monsaraz, situated on an imposing hilltop, surrounded by cork oaks and vineyards. From the castle ruins, admire the spectacular views across to the dry Spanish plains, contrasting with the blue of one of Europe's largest artificial lakes. Meet a local boat captain and hear tales of life upon the water during your leisurely cruise. Sit down to a delicious Highlight Lunch in a local restaurant that was formerly an olive oil mill. Savour the local cuisine as your menu is typical of the local Alentejo region and accompanied with wine. Return to Evora where the evening is at your leisure to explore this beautifully preserved regional capital. (Buffet Breakfast / Lunch with Wine)|
M'Ar De Ar Aqueduto, Evora.
|Day 7||Tomar||Scenic drive to Obidos, Fatima and Tomar.: Pass cork oak forests and expansive rice fields as you journey to the fortified town of Obidos. Walk inside its walls to explore the craft shops, art galleries and flower-laden houses that line the narrow, medieval streets. Continue to Fatima, Portugal's most renowned place of pilgrimage. See the basilica or perhaps visit the Chapel of the Apparitions, which commemorates the appearance of the Virgin Mary to three young shepherds in 1917. Proceed to Tomar and visit one of Portugal's historical jewels, the Templar Castle and Convent of Christ, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. With your Local Expert, explore the octagonal Templars' Rotunda in the cloister and glimpse the day-to-day life of a warrior monk in the domestic areas. Outside on the battlements, the Manueline Window is perhaps the finest example in the country. You also visit the Synagogue of Tomar, one of the best preserved medieval synagogues in Portugal, housing a small Jewish museum. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Dos Templarios, Tomar.
|Day 8||Pinhao||Coimbra, the Douro and Pinhao.: In Coimbra, your Local Expert will show you the highlights of the Old Town, including a visit to the impressive Baroque university library. Journey through the rolling vine-laden hills and along the left bank of the Douro to arrive at Quinta de Marrocos, the home of the Sequeira family for the past 4 generations. Learn about the family's passion for wine making as you join them for a wonderful Farm-to-Table Dinner, freshly prepared from locally sourced ingredients and of course accompanied by wine from the estate. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Vintage House, Pinhao, Douro Valley.
|Day 9||Porto||Guimaraes and Porto.: Journey to Guimaraes, known as the Cradle of Portugal. From the ruined castle there are wonderful views and down in the historic heart lies a web of washing-hung alleyways, cobbled streets and cosy squares with tiny bars and cafes. Continue towards the bright lights of Porto, situated on the Douro and celebrated as the Port wine capital of the world. These famous Port wines are housed in the Vila Nova de Gaia wine stores. Walk along corridors of casks and get to know your tawnys and vintages during a tasting. In the evening you are at leisure to enjoy your boutique, five-star hotel, a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World, in the heart of Porto's historical district. The decor is a mix of classic and contemporary and each room is individually decorated with original artwork. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel Infante Sagres, Porto.
|Day 10||Porto||Porto, Grande Dame on the Douro.: With a full day free to enjoy at your own pace, why not take a stroll to admire the multi-coloured houses, churches covered in beautiful glazed tiles and the iconic bridges? For a different perspective and excellent views of the city, perhaps embark on a relaxing Douro cruise? In the evening, bid adeus to your Travel Director and fellow travellers with a mouth-watering Celebration Dinner with wine, at an authentic Porto restaurant. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Infante Sagres, Porto.
|Day 11||Lisbon||Return to Lisbon.: Enjoy a relaxed start in Porto before travelling to Lisbon, arriving at your hotel in the early evening. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Dom Pedro Lisboa.
|Day 12||Depart Lisbon||Depart Lisbon.: After breakfast, your departure transfer arrives at Lisbon Portela Airport at 07:00 or 09:30. (Buffet Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. Solo Traveller Saving: There is a 25% reduction to the Single Supplement on 5 Apr, 31 May, 14 Jun, 6 Sept, 4 Oct.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class